Friday, October 13, 2006

A large, shadowy and very black animal is perched on a windowsill, with the sunrise and a tree behind him in the window. The head details cannot be seen against the dark curtains, but the sunlight shows off very chiseled leg and chest msucles. This mystery animal appears to be a large lab-sized dog with the agility of a cat. Who might this be? we wonder

It's Friday the 13th, and I don't have normal bad luck even today. Instead of hordes of black cats streaking across my path to trip me up, I had a jumbo black one come through my window this morning. At first I thought it was a dog, but I'm not sure a NORMAL dog can stand on windowsills.

At least I'm not big kitty kibble this morning-- namely because I simply read to it from the headlines this morning and it fled in horror.

Wilbrodog took a few lessons from how I taught a blind man sign by touching and moving his hands to where they should go. Today Wilbrodog then decided to target my hands with his nose and then touch where he wanted them to go. Touch hand, touch hand, both hands to touch belly. Score! Then he went right to pointing to my mouth. "Hungry... eat/food." Sure enough, his kibble bowl was empty.

You gotta love it when an animal decides to turn the tables on the trainer, but this isn't unusual when you use clicker-based techniques.

It's decidedly a surreal morning so far. Black dogs suffer greatly from superstition, and they take longer to adopt from shelters, since people prefer "blonde fluffy." I get really annoyed with the local news stations because everytime an animal bite is reported on TV, they always use a stock still of a snarling rottweiler, even if the dog who bit was a golden retriever, for heaven's sake. Yes, most guard dog breeds are black with tan markings. So? Not all of them are trained people-masticators.

Ironically, in 2005 black dogs were considered extra-lucky in India because they help ward off Saturn. People have paid extravagnant prices in India just to get a black doggy.

In parting, I leave you with this tune cootie:

"How much is that doggy in the window?"

4 comments:

Scottynuke said...

O Gnomic One;

As long as Wilbrodog doesn't start pointing at your wallet, you should be fine.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can comment!

Nice blog, Wilbrod. I checked you out yesterday and its great, except for some lingering dampness in your first comments section. Kind of like a lingering mist over there.

dr

Wilbrod The Gnome said...

Yeah, Mo certainly does a good Pffft shower. I'll have to ask her if she was a camel in a previous life. That said, those "cookies" were really dog biscuits and not approved for human consumption. I expect she'll find out in the bathroom very shortly.

dmd said...

As another black (or mostly black dog owner) I say WOOF.